Two-step verification (or two-factor authentication) is a free tool that adds an extra layer of security to Uniregistry accounts. If you enable two-step verification, you’ll use both your regular account password and a single-use token – created on your smartphone – to log in. Because these tokens expire after 30 seconds, your credentials are much harder to guess or steal.
You’ll need an authenticator app installed on your mobile phone to use two-step verification. We recommend Google Authenticator because it’s free, simple to use and available for most mobile platforms.
How do I enable Two-Step Verification?
1. Log in to your account at Uniregistry.com by clicking the ‘LOG IN’ button in the upper-right corner of the homepage.
2. Click on the arrow next to ‘Account’ and select ‘Account Settings’ from the drop-down menu.
3. Select ‘Two-Step Verification’ from the left-hand menu.
4. Enter a backup phone number – one other than your main number – so we can call it to verify your identity should we ever need to. Select the appropriate country from the drop-down menu, and click the ‘+ Add’ button. Then, click the ‘Get Started’ button to proceed to the next step.
5. Open the authenticator app on your phone and scan the QR code displayed in your browser. A timed, single-use token (six digit code) should now appear on your phone. Enter this number into the validation box under the QR code and click the ‘Validate’ button to complete the process.
Alternatively, you may enter the sixteen-digit key code provided by clicking ‘enter the key manually’ and typing it into the authenticator app. If you do a manual entry, you will be prompted to add your Uniregistry account email address as well as the key code.
6. Print the codes used to authenticate your app so you can re-enable two-step on a new phone or app should you ever need to.
Two-Step verification is now enabled. From now on, every time you log into your account, you will be prompted to enter your regular Uniregistry password as well as the token generated from your authenticator app. Each code is valid for approximately 30 seconds as indicated by the animated counting clock.
The authenticator app is connected to your Uniregistry account, not your phone. So if you lose your phone, delete the app or overwrite the operating system, you will not be able to log into your Uniregistry account with a new app wihtout authenticating it. Therefore, please ensure you have access to the QR code (step 6 above) and have entered a backup phone number (other than your main number) so that Uniregistry verify your identity should you require assistance.
Occasionally, the 30-second windows in your app and at Uniregistry.com go out of sync. If your codes suddenly stop working try the following:
- Ensure your phone’s time is set to ‘Automatic’
- If using Android, you can manually synch your authenticator using ‘Time Correction’ in the settings
- If your phone continually falls out of synch and your codes often don’t work, try downloading an additional ’Sync App’ to force your phone to synch with universal time